A new conveyor design standard from Martin Engineering and offered by Watson Power BMH provides the benefits of improved serviceability and safety for operations that rely on belt conveyors. This new system, the EVO® Conveyor Architecture, takes a fresh look at conveyor engineering from the ground up, to produce belt conveyors that are clean, safe and more productive by design.
The EVO® System is based on the premise that if maintenance is unsafe or uncomfortable, it will not be performed.
A key to maintaining the efficiency of any belt conveyor is the ability to perform maintenance in an efficient, timely and safe manner. EVO® Conveyor Architecture is engineered specifically to improve conveyor maintenance practices by allowing safe, efficient service.
The word “architecture” means selecting and interconnecting components to create systems to meet functional, performance and cost goals. The EVO® Conveyor Architecture offers a complete and re-thought system that is cost competitive with conventional design standards, but will provide improved performance in cleanliness, service-friendliness and safety.
EVO® Conveyor Structure is designed with patented dust accumulation-resistant components that reduce the need for maintenance and cleanup labor around the conveyor. Components like skirtboard covers prevent the escape of dust, and dust caps for the conveyor’s “feet” reduce the accumulation of material around the conveyor base. By reducing the cleanup chores around the conveyor, there are fewer opportunities for accidents around the conveyor, improving plant safety.
Components like belt support cradles and idlers feature track-mounted bases, allowing the components to slide out from underneath the belt for installation, replacement, adjustment or cleaning as required. And these systems are designed to allow serviceability from both sides of the conveyor.
EVO® External Wear Liner allows effective sealing while improving liner inspection and replacement. This unique system hangs on tabs welded to the outside of the skirtboard seal, so it can be installed without work in confined spaces. The wear liner can be precisely adjusted down toward the proper dimension for effective sealing with easily-accessible bolts.
Even the maintenance of the skirtboard sealing strip is simplified with the use of MARTIN Double APRON SEAL Skirting. This patented system provides a second wear life with the simple inversion of the sealing strip.
EVO® Architecture also features a comprehensive set of conveyor guards to keep workers well away from moving components and pinch points. Lockable doors provide effective openings for inspection and maintenance, while preventing unauthorized access or the escape of fugitive material.
EVO® Conveyor Architecture is designed to provide complete zones of a belt conveyor including the Tail Zone, the Loading Zone, the Carrying Zone and the Head Zone. The components can be installed individually, in combination to construct each zone, or in a full, new conveyor. They are suitable for use in new construction or retrofit.
Some of the EVO® Modern Conveyor Architecture Components presently available include:
- EVO® Stringer System utilizes special “half-hex” channel and angled reinforcement to minimize material accumulation.
- EVO® Impact Cradles cushion impact in the loading zone.
- EVO® Support Cradles stabilize the belt line and reduce spillage.
- EVO® Impact Idlers and Troughing Idlers are track-mounted so they easily slide-in/slide-out, simplifying installation and service.
- EVO® Modular Chute Wall simplifies the design and construction of skirtboards and stilling zones.
- EVO® External Wearliner improves sealing while improving liner inspection, adjustment and replacement.
- MARTIN® Double APRON SEAL™ Skirting provides a second wear life with the simple inversion of the sealing strip.
- EVO® Dust Caps prevent material buildup around the legs of the conveyor.
- EVO® Skirtboard Cover shields the skirtboard to prevent the escape of airborne dust.
- MARTIN® Inspection and Access Doors improve access to chutes and other enclosures for inspection and maintenance.
- EVO® Barrier Guards, lockable barriers allow inspection of operating conveyor systems while keeping workers away from harm.
Components of the EVO® Conveyor Architecture are compatible with conventional conveyor systems and can be retrofit to improve the performance, safety and serviceability of existing systems.
With the Martin Engineering EVO® Conveyor Architecture from Watson Power BMH, conveyors will provide improved overall performance in key metrics including productivity, cleanliness, environmental compliance, safety and serviceability.